Sunday, August 31, 2008

August 2008

We continued the fun of summer all the way through this month.  Since Ethan was off his ADHD medication this summer, he gained a whole 15 POUNDS since June!  We were tickled pink!  Just in time for back-to-school shopping, we bought him a whole new wardrobe.  Tristan was delighted to get his own back-to-school clothes, lunchbox, and new tennis shoes.  Frankly, he was just delighted to think about anything having to do with "big school!"

Ethan turned 10 on August 10.  He got money, Denver Bronco's shirts, and his very own set of engraved scriptures for his birthday.  He's absolutely growing up into a young man right before our eyes, and it's nearly impossible for us to believe that it's already been 10 years since we welcomed our first bundle of joy into our home!  What an adventure it's been!

Chris, Dallin and I got our own little present for Ethan's birthday - we went to a Weird Al Yankovic concert!  Having grown up listening to Weird Al, all 3 of us were totally psyched to see Weird Al live!  Of course Dallin's a big concert goer, so he'd already seen Weird Al, but this was our first time.  We started off by buying concert T-shirts & hats - White & Nerdy, of course!  The concert itself was literally 2.5 hours of hysterical laughter therapy!  He played every song we wanted to hear - all his hits, including "Fat," "Yoda," his Star Wars American Pie parody, "Amish Paradise," "All About the Pentiums," "White & Nerdy" and even more - all in costume!  At one point, he even sang a love song to the audience members, and went out into the second section of the audience singing to people!  Between songs while he was changing costumes, he showed clips of "Al TV", which were all pretend interviews with celebrities.  He skewered Madonna, Eminem, Michael Stipe, and even Kevin Federline.  It was completely hilarious!  His encore was to perform "Albuquerque", his 20 minute song - and he did an extended version!  Every time he comes back in concert, I want to go!  I highly recommend it to any Weird Al fan! 

Thanks to Kathy, I discovered Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series.  Yes, I know, I'm extremely late to the dance.  Many of the readers of this blog have probably been fans since her first book, but I just didn't pay attention to the latest info.  I have repented, though.  I read every book of the Twilight series plus The Host in the first half of August.  I went sleepless some nights, because I simply couldn't put the books down!  I bought the series for myself, because I know I'll need to read them again.  I haven't experienced a voice like Meyer's before, and she was refreshing and enthralling.

And then, August 25, 2008, there was school.  My big guy is in 5th grade, and that is just amazing, but even more so, my BABY is in full day kindergarten!  He was lucky enough to get Ethan's kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Parman, as his teacher too.  She's an angel with those children - so patient, so loving, and so perfect to help usher them from toddlerhood into elementary school.  We know he will be in excellent hands.  We met Ethan's teacher Mrs. McDaniel, and she is a lovely, sweet, intelligent woman who will help Ethan navigate through his school year quite effectively.  He already loves her.

The night before, Chris gave each of the boys a father's blessing.  The strength of the words he spoke moved us all.  Every time the boys receive priesthood blessings, I feel the strength of their incredible spirits.  It's always emotional and humbling for me to know that we have been entrusted with such remarkable children.  What gifts!  

Chris took off work for the first day of school, and we walked to school together.  We dropped Ethan off first, and after a brief hug and a quick word with his teacher, he sent us on our way.  When we took Tristan to class, we were surrounded by tearful parents and tearful children.  Everywhere we turned there were camera flashes and videos being taken.  Mrs. Parman kindly posed for all the pictures and comforted the crying children and adults.  The Campbells were all smiles, though.  Tristan was so ready & excited, and we knew he would be delighted with this new experience.  I knew I would miss him, but I was more excited for him to experience this new phase of his life.  

Chris and I did enjoy that first day of school together.  We went shopping, went to lunch, and even went to the tech support department at the Apple store to have my iPhone replaced because it was malfunctioning.  It was remarkable that at the end of the excursion, we didn't have to write a check for a babysitter!

So now, as I write this, they've completed their first week.  Ethan's still happy about school, although the homework and projects have already started.  He will take a bit of adjustment to get back into the swing of things, but he'll do just fine.  This is the first year we've walked to & from school instead of driving, so that's a bit much for ALL of us right now, since it's still in the high 90's, humid & muggy outside.  We'll enjoy the walk much better when we're not miserable with the heat!  Tristan's had a bit more adjustment to make.  Before school started, he was a bit standoffish from me, and unwilling to sit for even a moment.  He was full of energy all the time.  Now, when he gets home from school, he curls up right next to me and rests his head, content to just sit, or to do something calm.  He's worn out!  He's been a bit more emotional in the afternoons, too.  I think he just wasn't expecting it to be so much!  But he's doing very well.  He's excited to show us that he's able to read some of the words he sees as we read books & signs and such.  I predict he'll be reading within a month.  We're a family of bookworms - he can't escape it!

So that's August!  Who knows what September will bring!  Can't wait to find out!

4 comments:

LadyCarma said...

Awesome post and pictures. Thanks for catching us up to date with the happenings. Ethan looks so tall in the picture and Tristan looks so short! It is amazing that Ethan put on 15 pounds. Thanks for sharing.

Wesley said...

Oh my goodness! Your cute little boys aren't so little anymore! Wow. Thanks for the update. I love you!

Guinevere said...

I love Ethan's hair!

Erlynne said...

You should see it now! It's longer and shaggier and totally hip. We all love it! I'll post a picture soon.