Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Service comes in mysterious ways

It's amazing to me how opportunities to help others come in the most unexpected and surprising ways.  In the last hour and a half today I've had 2 neat opportunities to serve.  The first call I got was from a friend in my ward with several young children, the youngest being a 2 year old adorable little girl.  She asked me if we would be willing to let her little one come to our house and sleep in a pack-n-play while they take their older kids to Disney On Ice.  Not many people ask me to babysit their kids, so it was a delightful surprise.  Apparently she's going to sleep the ENTIRE time she's here.  A 2 year old who's absolutely no trouble?  Yeah, I can totally do that!!

The second one came shortly afterwards, in the form of an email to our Relief Society email list asking for someone to volunteer freezer space.  We have a full size freezer in our garage that isn't currently chock full, so I called & offered mine.  I was delighted to find out what a great service it would be!  We have a family in our ward who were pregnant with twin boys.  They already have two young daughters, both of whom were premature because mom went into labor with them very early and had to be hospitalized to prolong the pregnancy.  This time, her labor started even earlier than with each of her girls, so she was put on bedrest, medication, and eventually was hospitalized full time to save the pregnancy and the boys.  Sadly, one of the twins did not make it, passing away before he was delivered.  The remaining twin was delivered at 21 weeks!   They call him a micro-preemie.  As you can imagine, we have had fasts, prayers, and endless service opportunities as we have reached out to support this incredible family.  He is doing extremely well, with all of his organs functioning properly.  He is to be in the hospital through the end of April, which is his natural due date.

The mom's best friend has been storing all her milk for her, but her freezer went out suddenly.  So now all this precious, priceless breast milk for this little miracle baby is in MY freezer, kept safe and sound until it finds its home again.  I know it's silly, but it feels SO special to me to safeguard their baby's nutrients for them!

I love how the Lord blesses me to be able to serve in ways that are possible for me, even with all the other tumult going on.  He sure knows our needs!

1 comment:

LadyCarma said...

Good for you. Angels have many faces, but your's is my favorite. Thanks for the post and for sharing. Love you forever!