Sunday, March 28, 2010

Three's a crowd, aka You've got to be kidding me, aka Chris got the boot

Yeah.  So, this is just ridiculous.

At Christmastime, Chris broke his middle toe on his left foot.  It hurt a lot but he didn't go to the doctor because there's not much the doc can do with a broken toe.  It got better pretty quick, but the ball of his foot started hurting a couple of weeks later.

About 5 weeks ago, I did something weird with my right hamstring and it started hurting mildly.  It felt like I had hyperextended it, but I didn't freak out or go to the doctor or anything.

On March 10, Ethan was running on the playground at recess and he said it suddenly felt like he couldn't feel his knee anymore, so he stopped running.  We found out the next day after 2 doctor visits, an X-ray and an MRI that he had badly strained his ACL and torn his meniscus in his left knee.  He didn't have to have surgery, but he did have a lot of swelling so they had to take fluid out of his joint (OWWW!).  He's been on crutches until just today, and now he's working out with 4 weeks of physical therapy.  He's a trooper, but it's been extremely hard on him and on the rest of us.  Nobody likes to be in pain and on crutches, especially for 3 weeks!

So then I went to the Muse concert with Dallin and stood 1.5 people from the FRONT of the crowd on the floor.  Never been that close at a concert before, and it totally ROCKED!!  We screamed and danced and jumped and sang and had the time of our lives!  I was just so glad I felt well enough to go to the show.  But I really shouldn't have jumped.  I damaged the hamstring even more, so I've been limping ever since.

On Friday 3/26, Chris finally went to the orthopedic doctor for his foot, and they told him he's got a pinched nerve.  They gave him a Cortizone shot (ow!) and put him in a walking boot for 3 weeks.  So he's limping too!

Yesterday was a painful leg day for me.  I've been up and doing for everyone else, picking up everyone else's slack because they couldn't do much.  Whenever I spend a lot of time walking (limping, I should say), I end up in agony.  I had gone and done some Saturday things, and when I got home Chris was moving out our old washer and dryer and moving in the newer models we got from my friend Cherri's parents.  I didn't want him to roll the old washer and dryer over my brand new living room rug, so I got up to move it.  I was walking backwards as I rolled it up, and BAM!  I slipped on the medicine ball Ethan had been using for his physical therapy exercises and forgotten to put away.  OWWW!!!!  I know I didn't completely break the hamstring, but I am constantly in pain.  I could barely sleep last night because I couldn't find a position that didn't burn or pinch or hate me.

So now 3 out of the 4 people in our family are dealing with ortho injuries!  THREE!!!!!  WHAT?!?!?  Seriously!!!?!?!  

Not only is there the pain and inconvenience to contend with, there's also the fact that our health insurance has a $2000 deductible for EACH covered family member before they pay a dime for anything.  On top of the repairs we've recently done to the house, and the fact that I no longer have a full-time income....  looks like I'll be dragging out those credit cards again.  You know... the ones we had paid off.

I am really, really trying to keep a positive outlook, but this is the most "stuff" we've ever had piled on us at once, ever.  I think I'm going to go bury myself in the covers for a while.  That will help, right?  

3 comments:

LadyCarma said...

I feel your pain! Maybe not literally, but I have been in that place as a mother with hurting children, sick or overworked husband, and everything breaking or needing repaired at the same time, or so it seems. But I will offer one phrase of encouragment. This too shall pass! It won't stay. And even though it will be hard, you can get through it. Remember, I prayed for something for ten YEARS before it was resolved, and visit taught a woman for eight years before I saw positive changes. Never give up, or in this case, crawl under the covers! I love you and have all the confindence in you.

Laura Bernard said...

Maybe I'm contradicting your mom, but I say, Crawl in the covers, but just for a moment! What a crazy time! I'm so sorry for all the pain, all the expenses, all the inconvenience of it all. I'm sure you'll get through it, but I'll be thinking of you!

Erlynne said...

Thank you both for your comments. I am glad to say that I took both of your advice today. I did try to lie down, but still can't get comfortable so I got up & got productive. I spent the day with my kids, enjoying family time, and working on reconciling our bank accounts so I can get our taxes done. I know for sure, after today, that I can't put off getting an x-ray and probably an MRI for my leg. OWWWWie!!!