Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Update from Leg Land

Well, our achy breaky legs over here at the Campbell's wanted me to send out a blog update.

Chris' foot is feeling much better, and he has already stopped wearing his protective boot.  Hopefully he'll continue to improve, and the nerve pain from the bottom of his foot won't come back.  Yay for him!

Ethan has been rocking the physical therapy like a pro!  His first physical therapy session was last Thursday, March 25.  He's done his at-home exercises daily, and he really works hard at the sessions to do exactly what they ask him to do.  As a result, his knee pain has decreased drastically, he's completely off crutches, and he barely even limps anymore.  Hurray for the magical healing powers of the 11 year old body.  Yay for Ethan!

I went to my orthopedic surgeon appointment today to get an X-ray and find out what the heck I have done to myself.  Thank goodness I don't have any broken bones, but according to the doctor, I have torn a number of muscles behind my right knee and the physical therapist added that he thinks I have a meniscus tear as well.  Lovely.

So I have to be on evil crutches for at least a week, and up to 3 weeks.  I can't actually straighten my knee at all, and he says that if I come back for my followup appointment in 3 weeks and that's still a problem, he'll order an MRI and "look at our options," which sounded a whole lot like "surgery."

He scheduled me for 4 weeks of physical therapy, so I stopped by the physical therapist's office on my crutchy way out and scheduled myself for the same appointments that Ethan has.  Misery loves company, after all!  We did our first joint appointment today, and it was excruciating for me and refreshing for Ethan.  And exhilarating for Tristan, who has fallen in love with physical therapy offices - there are so many fun "toys" to play on, like 1 legged stair machines, weights, bands, and stuff to step and balance on.  

So now we just need to pray that my leg will heal up nicely with the help of the exercises and my willpower and the Lord's blessings.  We're going to the temple for the first time in quite a while on Friday.  I'm going - crutches and pain medication and all.  I can't think of a better healing remedy in the universe than the balm of the Spirit and losing the cares of the world in the service of my Father in Heaven.


2 comments:

Lana said...

how awful! seriously! I know what you mean about physical therapy being excruciating!! I never understood how a bit of "easy stretching and moving" could hurt people so much when I was just a spry agile young thing. :) Now that I'm old and injured, I know what that feels like! Hopefully with each session you'll continue to improve and the pain will lessen.

And Tatum came with me a time or two and really enjoyed the PT office as well. They weren't too busy and played fun games with her like having her balance on a half-sphere thing and then catch small medicine balls at the same time. Fun!

LadyCarma said...

My prayers are there for you all. I know that faith and hard work can heal. Just don't get addicted to pain meds, okay? I love you all.